Angel on Earth

Thursday, November 24, 2016




Thanksgiving is today and as the holiday season draws near, I wanted to share an experience with you that I had last night. It’s mind blowing and at the same time, it’s what the reason for the season is all about.

As I read this recipe a few days ago, it sounded so good. I envisioned the creamy goodness of the lightly seasoned mashed potatoes, mixed with cheddar cheese and topped with corn flakes that are lightly tossed in butter. Layered in a casserole dish and baked. The corn flakes would get crispy and with the potatoes and cheese, no doubt delicious. I could almost taste it. I’m a foodie, so to speak. Yes, I love to eat. I knew we didn’t have corn flakes and looking at this recipe, they are an integral part of this dish. This dish would have to wait. It’s a crunch thing. Corn flakes are a must.

We went to pick up Meridian from work. It’s that time of the year when all the Black Friday deals are going on and it’s been very busy for her, to say the least. Hal’s and I had traveled earlier to a record store to sell some records. It was disappointing as they only wanted two of them and that totaled $4.00. I was surprised they didn’t want the Frank Sinatra albums or some of the other big band and rock albums. I took quite the assortment. So, instead of going all the way home, we decided since Mer’s work was closer, we’d go and wait in the parking lot for two hours until she got off. This way we weren’t running back and forth wasting fuel. When she walked out, we were relieved and she was as well.

We were traveling the long ride home and decided to stop by the store to grab some milk. We discussed not stopping because I knew how tired Meridian must have been. The milk could wait. We decided to stop. The girls went in and I started talking out loud to God. I reiterated to Him how I was doing everything I could to get things moving. I have one business that has some of my hats and another that is trying one of my hats and Angel Wing accessories to get customer response. I have been trying to get another product sold as well. I talked out loud about my feelings of frustration and was essentially ranting through my tears. I think we’ve all been there. I am no different. It’s my turn. You persevere and are tenacious and when there are no results, it’s disappointing, to say the least.
I looked up and saw the girls coming out of the store. Finally, we could go to the house and relax. I wiped my eyes. Hopefully, they wouldn’t notice I had been crying. 

They stopped by a van that was parked in front of me and one space over. There was a lady, and I saw that they were talking to her. I watched and observed for a couple of minutes. They started walking toward me with their arms full of different items. I asked them, “Where did you get all that?” They loaded it in the back seat and got in. They explained that they had asked the woman if she needed any help getting her groceries into the van. Many times my girls have asked and assisted people getting into their cars that might need help. They really have good hearts. This time was no different. They explained that the lady had thanked them and asked them to take some of the items. The girls said no and thank you but the lady insisted. She had placed several items into a box lid. That’s what they loaded into our car.

The lady was leaving and pulled forward and we all thanked her so much for her generosity and kindness. I introduced myself and the girls. She did as well. I explained we hadn’t been here very long and we had a very nice conversation, one I won’t soon forget. After she drove away, I was surprised because this had never happened before, not to me. Hal’s was naming off the items from the back seat. It was dark and I was so busy driving, I wasn’t really listening to all the items. The light turned green and I was focused on the road. I would learn what was in the box soon.  

When we got home, it was nice to be there. The girls started bringing the things to the kitchen table to be put away. Check this out. The girls showed me the packages of mashed potatoes and the canned goods but when I saw the corned flakes, I knew. I just hit that wall. You know the one. You’re so tired and so frustrated. You’re exhausted but you know it’s only a season.  A miracle is on the way. You need to know it’s going to be ok. A sign. Something!! You just need some rest to keep going and of course, a break.  If you’re spiritual at all, you know what I mean.


She was an Earth angel. God, or a group of angels, had Ann give these things to my girls for us. If we hadn’t gone to that store, we’d never met Ann.  Furthermore, she didn’t have to share. She showed love to complete strangers. I don’t believe in coincidence. I never have. I am so grateful for the food and most important, I’m grateful for having met Ann. It was a sign, if you will, from God and the angels. Yes, I’m looking forward to making the mashed potato casserole dish with the corn flake topping. I will eat it right after I give thanks and praise. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments