Red-y To Go?

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

I’ve always been a fan of plaids and tartans...

I did some research and plaid, the pattern, actually dates back to the 6th and 8th centuries, BC, where each family had their own unique design. I recall seeing plaid in the 1970’s and the 1990’s and I honestly don’t think it’s ever not been around, at least not in my life time. I still recall a pair of brown, cream and rust plaid pants that I wore in 6th or 7th grade. (don’t do the math on that.) We had to wear dresses or jumpers up until the late ’60’s or early ’70’s as wearing pants was not permitted at school. 


Although, the words plaid and tartan have been used interchangeably, they are not the same. According to textile and pattern experts, tartan is a plaid woven in wool, designed in Scotland that identifies different clans. Whereas plaid is referred to as a multi-colored, cross striped pattern. It actually depends on who you are talking to and the context for what exactly ‘plaid’ and ‘tartan’ is.  

So, when the colder weather creeps up on us and we find ourselves subconsciously snuggled up in our favorite blanket, I find myself excited. Not because I have to wear socks 24/7 just to keep my feet a few degrees above being considered frozen. No, I am excited because I get to wear coats. Seeing as plaid and coats are a few of my favorite things, this coat is one I find myself gravitating towards whenever I reach for a coat. I also have a found a blue and green coat that is much longer and made of a cotton blend. It’s one of my favorites. 




I paired this coat with simple black leggings and a black mock turtleneck sweater. I also have on a pair of cherry red pumps to tie the coat and shoes together and swiped on red lipstick. 



To soften the look, I am carrying a brown, leather, vintage purse. The purse dates back to at least, the 1960’s. It’s one of several that my mother took very good care of. 



The day was a lovely day and whether you call the pattern plaid or tartan, the coat kept me warm.

Biggest Hugs,


Tracey

You Might Also Like

2 comments